Simon Rogan’s L’Enclume has been named the best restaurant in Britain by the Good Food Guide, knocking Heston Blumenthal’s Fat Duck off the top spot after five consecutive years.
The two-Michelin-starred restaurant in Cartmel, Cumbria has topped the 2014 edition of the country’s oldest restaurant guide, which is now owned by Waitrose, after scoring 10 out of 10 for the second year in a row. L’Enclume and the Fat Duck remain the only two restaurants in the Good Food Guide to have been awarded a perfect cooking score.
Elizabeth Carter, consultant editor of the Good Food Guide, said that despite the pressures of the past year – from opening the French at the Midland Hotel in Manchester to overseeing a pop-up restaurant in London – Rogan and his team have not missed a beat.
“Rogan rightfully takes his place as leader of the pack when it comes to modern British cooking. His fantastic way with seasonal ingredients from the Cumbrian land and coast brings dishes that are a joyful celebration of this county’s magnificent diversity. L’Enclume is truly deserving of the number one spot,” she said.
The list of the top 10 restaurants from last year’s Good Food Guide has remained unchanged in this year’s guide, although the order has moved around slightly, with Restaurant Nathan Outlaw in Cornwall jumping to third place from fifth; Restaurant Sat Bains dropping to fourth place from third; and Restaurant Gordon Ramsay in London falling from fourth to fifth place.
Jason Atherton’s Pollen Street Social in London has remained in sixth position; while Claude Bosi’s Hibiscus; Phil Howard’s The Square and Brett Graham’s The Ledbury, all in London, have each climbed one spot to place seventh, eighth and ninth respectively. Raymond Blanc’s Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons in Great Milton, Oxfordshire completes the top 10.
There are six new entries to the Good Food Guide’s top 50 this year: Simon Rogan’s The French in Manchester (12); Hélène Darroze at the Connaught in London (37); Freemasons at Wiswell in Lancashire (42); OX in Belfast (43); The Red Lion in East Chisenbury (45); and The Clove Club in London (48).
The top 50 includes restaurants from all around the UK but 43 are from England.
There are five Scottish restaurants listed in the top 50, with the two-Michelin-starred Restaurant Andrew Fairlie at Gleneagles placing the highest as 20th. The Kitchin (21), Restaurant Martin Wishart (26) and Castle Terrace (46), all in Edinburgh, and the Peat Inn in Fife (27) were also included.
Only one restaurant in Wales made the top 50 list: the Michelin-starred Tyddyn Llan in North Wales in 40th position; as well as one Northern Irish establishment: OX in Belfast in 43rd place.
The 2014 Good Food Guide top 50 UK restaurants with cooking score in brackets:
1. L’Enclume, Cartmel, Cumbria (10)
2. The Fat Duck, Bray, Berkshire (10)
3. Restaurant Nathan Outlaw, Rock, Cornwall (9)
4. Restaurant Sat Bains, Nottingham (9)
5. Restaurant Gordon Ramsay, London (9)
6. Pollen Street Social, London (9)
7. Hibiscus, London (8)
8. The Square, London (8)
9. The Ledbury, London (8)
10. Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons, Great Milton, Oxfordshire (8)
11. Le Champignon Sauvage, Gloucestershire (8)
12. The French, Manchester (8)
13. Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley, London (8)
14. Midsummer House, Cambridgeshire (8)
15. Le Gavroche, London (8)
16. Whatley Manor, The Dining Room, Wiltshire (8)
17. Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester, London (8)
18. The Waterside Inn, Berkshire (7)
19. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London (7)
20. Andrew Fairlie at Gleneagles, Tayside (7)
21. The Kitchin, Edinburgh (7)
22. Pied-à-Terre, London (7)
23. Fraiche, Merseyside (7)
24. Gidleigh Park, Devon (7)
25. Michael Wignall at the Latymer, Surrey (7)
26. Restaurant Martin Wishart, Edinburgh (7)
27. Murano, London (7)
28. The Peat Inn, Fife (7)
29. Fischer’s Baslow Hall, Derbyshire (7)
30. Hambleton Hall, Rutland (7)
31. Artichoke, Buckinghamshire (7)
32. Paul Ainsworth at No. 6, Cornwall (7)
33. The Pass, West Sussex (7)
34. The Old Vicarage, Ridgeway, Derbyshire (7)
35. The Hand & Flowers, Buckinghamshire (6)
36. Mr Underhill’s, Shropshire (6)
37. Hélène Darroze at the Connaught, London (6)
38. Purnell’s, West Midlands (6)
39. The Sportsman, Kent (6)
40. Tyddyn Llan, Denbighshire (6)
41. The Yorke Arms, Ramsgill, North Yorkshire (6)
42. Freemasons at Wiswell, Lancashire (6)
43. OX, Belfast (6)
44. The Royal Oak, Paley Street, Berkshire (6)
45. The Red Lion, East Chisenbury, Wiltshire (6)
46. Castle Terrace, Edinburgh (6)
47. Simon Radley at the Chester Grosvenor, Cheshire (6)
48. The Clove Club, London (6)
49. The Box Tree, West Yorkshire (6)
50. Tuddenham Mill, Suffolk (6)